BILOXI, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University baseball program jumped out to an early 6-2 lead while Chris Soeder continued his scorching hot month of May, but Jackson State came roaring back to defeat the Diamond Devils, 17-8.
- Final Score: Jackson State 17 | Mississippi Valley State 8
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (10-31-1, 4-25 SWAC) | Jackson State (29-25, 16-14 SWAC)
- Location: Biloxi, Mississippi – MGM Park
- Series History: Jackson State Leads 197-59
- Winning Streak: Jackson State (W17) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: March 16, 2019 (2-0)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Soeder has really come into his own over the last few weeks of his freshman campaign, driving in half of the team’s runs as he tied his season-best of four RBIs, set a new benchmark for hits by going 3-for-5, scored twice and was able to rocket a two-run homer over 350 feet over the left field wall of a Double-A ballpark.
- Maury Weaver also set a season-high with three hits as well over six at-bats, jogging home on the long ball.
- Eric Johnson II nearly sent a 3-RBI blast over the fence in a nearly identical spot to Soeder’s, just missing the dinger with his ball caroming off the middle of the padding for a two-RBI double.
- Dreylin Holmes collected another multi-hit effort with a 2-for-4 day, swiping a base and walking to go along with scoring.
- Narvin Booker contributed an RBI single, Johnathan Yandrich crossed the plate twice, drew a pair of walks and singled, while Davon Mims tallied a base knock then promptly stealing and scoring.
- The Diamond Devils will have to wait until next season to break its four-year tournament drought, when it dropped both games as the third seed in the East at the conclusion of the 2018 season.
- This was the team’s only neutral site contest of the year and its first time not playing in either team’s home ballpark during the regular season since playing South Dakota State in Jackson, Mississippi on March 11, 2015.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena