LORMAN, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University women’s basketball program won its third consecutive contest versus Alcorn, immobilizing the Lady Braves offense in a 62-47 triumph.
The three-game winning streak in the series is the Devilettes’ longest since it won four in-a-row from 2012-13 to 2013-14 and Coach Walker-Johnson’s side outscored the Purple and Gold by 32 points over its two meetings this year (155-123).
- Final Score: Mississippi Valley State 62 | Alcorn 47
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (4-21, 3-14 SWAC) | Alcorn (3-21, 2-15 SWAC)
- Location: Lorman, Mississippi – Davey L. Whitney Complex
- Series History: Alcorn Leads 57-31
- Winning Streak: Mississippi Valley State (W3) | Alcorn’s Last Win: January 16, 2020 (68-53)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Mikayla Etienne was the top dog for the Devilettes scoring-wise, posting 14 points for her seventh straight with ten-plus and drained three long balls on seven attempts (42.9%).
- Ronni Williams played in her 100th game while donning the Green and White, dominating per usual as she went for a game-best nine assists, six points, four rebounds and a steal. She now has 16 contests with five or more dimes and has done so in the past six.
- Da’Sha McGloster was out there rejecting Lady Braves, swatting away a career-high three blocks, tying a career-best for rebounds at seven, making half of her field goal tries (4-for-8) and putting nine points on the board.
- Krisen Hunt got her first taste of a block party, sending her first career blocked shot sailing away from the cylinder as well as tying a season-high with four boards.
- Zakiya Mahoney had a 4-for-10 (40%) night from the floor for her fifth consecutive game with ten-plus points (12) on top of six boards.
- Sarah Moore was 5-of-11 (45.5%) shooting for a game-high nine rebounds, ten points for the seventh time in her lone season in The Delta and came within one rebound of extending her team-leading double-double total to four.
- Valley won the battle on the boards for just the five time in 2021-22 and got its second win under that scenario, outrebounding Alcorn by nine (46-37).
- MVSU also had a positive turnover margin which has happened much more often, claiming its third victory in 16 tries winning the turnover war (25-21).
- The Green and White held the Lady Braves to only 15 buckets, a 29.4% field-goal percentage and 47 points, all are season-lows by the Devilettes defense.
The Devilettes conclude the 2021-22 regular season at Jackson State as they look to spoil the Lady Tigers’ bid for a perfect SWAC season.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena