ITTA BENA, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University women’s basketball program came up on the wrong end of the scoreboard in agonizingly close fashion, falling just shy in a four-point defeat.
- Final Score: Bethune-Cookman 78 | Mississippi Valley State 74
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (1-12, 0-5 SWAC) | Bethune-Cookman (3-11, 1-3 SWAC)
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – R.W. Harrison HPER Complex
- Series History: Bethune-Cookman Leads 1-0
- Winning Streak: Bethune-Cookman (W1) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Zakiya Mahoney continues to rack up the points, topping both sides with 21 points to give her three 20-burgers on the year, her eighth straight in double-figures, and tenth overall. All of this on top of a season-best five assists and a 50% field-goal (8-for-16) plus three-point percentage (3-of-6).
- Annya Moss easily had her best evening of the campaign, missing just two shots in the game’s entirety (6-for-8, 75%) and only one deep ball (4-of-5, 80%) to sail past her previous season-best in points with 16. Moss also tied her career-high with her four triples, dating back to January 30, 2021, at Jackson State.
- Ronni Williams has stuffed the box score in most categories all season long, setting a season-high of seven rebounds, a game-high of six assists, was the only Devilette with a multi-steal night (2) and connected on all seven of her free throws en route to nine points.
- Sarah Moore played her role as the team’s top rebounder nicely, putting together eight rebounds to get her over the century mark on the season (104) and eight points to go along with it.
- The Green and White tied its season-high of 11 three-pointers, going 11-of-34 (32.4%) to match its output versus Northwestern State on December 11.
- Valley shot over 80% from the free throw line for the fifth time in 2021-22, capitalizing on 13 freebies over 16 attempts for a conversion rate of 81.3%.
- The number 19 seems has been oddly associated with the team’s game assists total,
Coach Walker-Johnson’s ladies will be right back at it on Monday evening as Florida A&M invades the Delta for a 5:30 p.m. tip on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm