DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program got complete games from both starting pitchers but could only muster three hits in each matchup as they fell by scores of 2-0 and 4-0 at Sunnyland Park against the Lady Wildcats.
- Final Score (Game 1): Bethune-Cookman 2 | Mississippi Valley State 0
- Final Score (Game 2): Bethune-Cookman 4 | Mississippi Valley State 0
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (9-20, 7-9 SWAC) | Bethune-Cookman (17-23, 11-6 SWAC)
- Location: Daytona Beach, Florida – Sunnyland Park
- Series History: Bethune-Cookman Leads 3-2
- Winning Streak: Bethune-Cookman (W2) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: March 26, 2022 (1-0, 8 Innings)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Morgan Gutierrez recorded her second straight complete game start, providing a stellar six innings with a punchout while giving up just two earned runs (four total) and a walk as she wore an unfortunate defeat.
- Daisy Page had a typically spectacular stat line of a complete game performance over six frames in which she shut out the Maroon and Gold after the opening half-inning. The reigning SWAC Pitcher of the Week allowed two runs, both earned, on five hits on top of sitting down three B-CU batters.
- Shelby Carson was the only student-athlete with multiple hits, picking up one in each contest during a 2-for-6 day in which she also stole a base.
- Jaylon Davis had the Green and White’s solo extra-base knock, roping her fifth double on the season, tying her for the most on the squad with Keisha White as well as drawing a base on balls.
- Naomi Drake coerced two walks out of Hannah Ortega in the series opener, her first career game with multiple free passes.
- Brianna Alston picked up a single and a steal, Sydney Wesley did the same minus the bag swipe, and Aleyah Munford tallied her second career base hit as well with the other one coming at Southern Miss on February 19 earlier this year.
Coach Buckner’s team will get one more crack at Bethune with a chance to split the season series on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. central time.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena