MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The Mississippi Valley State University baseball program were tied with the University of Memphis, 4-4 heading into the bottom of the sixth inning but six runs in the bottom of the seventh by the Tigers salted the game away as the home side prevailed 13-4.
- Final Score: Memphis 13 | Mississippi Valley State 4
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (10-18-1, 4-12 SWAC) | Memphis (19-18, 4-8 American)
- Location: Memphis, Tennessee – FedExPark Avron Fogelman Field
- Series History: Memphis Leads 9-1
- Winning Streak: Memphis (W6) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: March 30, 2011 (3-2)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Narvin Booker walloped his first career home run to straightaway right field which gave Valley its final lead of the night, 3-2, in the top of the fifth. For the evening, the freshman from Atlanta was the only Devil with multiple hits during a 2-for-4 showing, his eighth multi-hit affair in 2022.
- Jose Salazar-Ortega upped his on-base streak to an even ten games to go along with an RBI single while also pitching an inning.
- The trio of Darrien Chapman, Dreylin Holmes, and Jan Tolentino all drew a walk and scored with the first two student-athletes contributing hits as well with Davon Mims getting on-base twice as well as he singled and was hit-by-pitch.
- Antonio Walker and Johnathan Yandrich were the other two contributors of base knocks for the Green and White clad visitors.
- Ten different pitchers were used by Coach Stubbs and company but only four pitched a full inning without allowing a run; Hunter Stallings, Calvin McClendon, Abraham Ortiz, and Juan Reyes.
- Memphis is the only school that the baseball program has played that currently resides in the American Athletic Conference
This was the final non-conference contest of the season as the Diamond Devils are back to the SWAC starting Friday against Florida A&M at 2 p.m. inside Magnolia Field.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena