ITTA BENA, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University baseball program used a B-CU throwing error and a seeing-eye, two-out, two strike single in the ninth to send the ballgame into extras but the Bethune bullpen locked things down from there in a 3-1 setback after 11 innings of baseball.
- Final Score: Bethune-Cookman 3 | Mississippi Valley State 1 (11 Innings)
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (8-10-1, 2-5 SWAC) | Bethune-Cookman (11-14, 6-1 SWAC)
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – Magnolia Field
- Series History: N/A
- Winning Streak: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Starter Calvin McClendon struggled through some command issues on the evening but was still able to put forth a gutsy effort with a six inning, one-run performance, and a trio of Ks.
- Jose Salazar-Ortega was the unfortunate loser but was still magnificent out of the pen, tossing 96 pitches over four innings in relief while striking out eight and allowing just one hit plus two runs.
- Antonio Walker finished off the 11th with a clean sheet outside of one wild pitch that got away from him.
- Dreylin Holmes (double) and Jan Tolentino were the lone Delta Devils to carve out a hit versus the fire balling duo of Lipthratt and Fisher with Tolentino’s clutch last gasp swing that almost extended into the other batter’s box was able to have enough juice on it to roll into the outfield and score Darrien Chapman in the ninth.
- Angel Perez was the solo walk given up by Bethune-Cookman while both Narvin Booker and Eric Johnson II wore a beanball as their only means of reaching safely.
It’s back on the diamond for game two of the series on Saturday for a 1 p.m. pitch inside Magnolia Field.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena