BATON ROUGE, La. – The Mississippi Valley State University men’s basketball program looks to right the ship as travel partner Arkansas-Pine Bluff makes its way to “The Delta”.
What You Need to Know
- Time and Date: Saturday, January 29 (4 p.m.)
- Video: https://youtu.be/xS87u-vvYU0
- Audio: http://www.gwoodlive.com/ (Lee Hall & Joshua Davis)
- Tickets: https://www.impacttickets.com/
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (1-17, 1-7 SWAC) | Arkansas-Pine Bluff
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – R.W. Harrison HPER Complex
- Series History: Mississippi Valley State Leads 40-36
- Last Meeting: March 5, 2021 | Arkansas-Pine Bluff 82, Mississippi Valley State 59 | Itta Bena, Mississippi (R.W. Harrison HPER Complex)
- Winning Streak: Arkansas-Pine Bluff (W2) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: March 7, 2020 (74-71)
Mississippi Valley State Overview
MVSU currently slots third in the SWAC for three-pointers made (127) and assist-to-turnover ratio (0.80) while being runners-up regarding triples per game (7.1), turnover margin (2.3), and turnovers forced (16.39, 27th in NCAA).
Caleb Hunter has turned into a well-rounded ballplayer, averaging 2.50 threes (second in SWAC) and 1.39 steals, with a three-point percentage of 28.7 (second in SWAC) to go along with being the team scoring leader at 13.8 points (seventh in SWAC) per contest.
David McCoy continues to hang around the bottom half of the SWAC’s top-ten in reference to steals per game, picking off 1.53 balls nightly.
Daniel Umoh has come on strong as of late to claim the rebounding lead for the Delta Devils, as he has 67 over 17 outings for a 3.9 average.
Elijah Davis is third, fifth, and seventh in the conference respectively in terms of assist-to-turnover ratio (1.66), total assists (63), and assists per game (3.5).
Scouting The Opponent: Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions
Pine Bluff has come away victorious in two of its six chances against conference competition so far, eking out a win over Alabama State in the opener and besting Bethune-Cookman, both at home.
It would be fair to expect a bunch of players launching from distance in this one, as the two teams rank first and second league-wide in long balls made with UAPB hitting the most at 139.
Shawn Williams is the man that Caleb Hunter is attempting to catch as he is the only guy above him in three-pointers per game (2.61), three-point percentage (33.3%), and total threes made (47). He also ranks third in assists per game (3.8), fifth for assist-to-turnover ratio (1.53), and sixth regarding points per game (14.0), proving he is not just a one trick pony.
Brandon Brown holds a rather unique title as both the team’s top rebounder and stealer, placing second for boards a night (7.8) and ninth in steals per contests (1.59) among the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena