ITTA BENA, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program celebrated its third walk-off victory in five home games as Demi Slater’s diving catch and subsequent eighth inning RBI double gave The Valley a thrilling 1-0 extra inning victory while Daisy Page shut B-CU down and out for the second time in as many days.
- Final Score: Mississippi Valley State 1 | Bethune-Cookman 0
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (7-14, 5-3 SWAC) | Bethune-Cookman (9-20, 4-5 SWAC)
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – MVSU Softball Field
- Series History: Mississippi Valley State Leads 2-1
- Winning Streak: Mississippi Valley State (W1) | Bethune-Cookman’s Last Win: Game 2 of Friday’s Doubleheader (10-5)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Slater was the only Devilette with multiple hits in a 2-for-3 showing, looping the game-winning RBI double just to the left of the right field foul line while also coaxing a base on balls on the day as well.
- Page has turned into a nightmare for opposing offenses as she secured the win on the back of her second straight complete game shutout with a masterful eight innings of two-hit magic on top of three Ks. The Anchorage, Alaska native improved to 5-4 on the year with a weekend stat line of 15.0 innings pitched, zero runs, six strikeouts, zero walks and five hits allowed.
- Less than 24 hours after a defensive disaster in game two (5 errors), the Devilette defense was impressive as they did not commit an error with Naomi Drake logging 16 putouts (the most by an MVSU player since 2017) and Brianna Alston contributing seven assists plus three putouts.
- Jaylon Davis was the game-winning run after slapping a one-out single into right, advancing to second on a sacrifice then scoring on Slater’s two-out line-hugger.
- Brianna Alston set up the victory with the sac bunt while tallying a single, Cailyn Peterson had a two-bagger, and Jade Smith put together a pinch-hit base knock as well.
- The Green and White now have three shutout wins in 2022, the program’s most in a single season since tossing three as well during the 2014 campaign.
With the mid-week matinee doubleheader versus Rust College canceled, Coach Buckner’s ladies will now turn its sights to rival Jackson State next weekend in the Capital City.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena