HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program let an opportunity to control its own destiny slip through its fingers, dropping both games of the Friday doubleheader at Alabama A&M, 3-1 and 13-2.
Here are the scenarios for Mississippi Valley softball to reach the SWAC Tournament regarding Saturday’s outcomes:
- Win both games – needs Alabama State to lose at least one-of-two games at Florida A&M.
- Split doubleheader – needs Florida A&M to sweep doubleheader over Alabama State.
- Lose both games – Devilettes eliminated.
- Final Score (Game 1): Alabama A&M 3 | Mississippi Valley State 1
- Final Score (Game 2): Alabama A&M 13 | Mississippi Valley State 2 (5 Innings)
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (11-24, 9-13 SWAC) | Alabama A&M (14-24, 8-14 SWAC)
- Location: Huntsville, Alabama – Bulldog Field
- Series History: Mississippi Valley State Leads 53-46
- Winning Streak: Alabama A&M (W2) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: March 11, 2022 (4-3)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Keisha White has really come on strong down the stretch as she drove in all three of the runs scored by Valley State on the day, recording a solo home run in the opener (sixth of her career, second of season) and a sacrifice fly plus an RBI single on top of a stolen base during the nightcap.
- Jaylon Davis had a base hit in both contests including a triple in game two which setup the sac fly by White for her to score. Davis now has 92 career hits to her name, nine short of the century mark.
- Brianna Alston was 3-for-4 plus a pair of walks and a run scored over the twin bill to move one step closer to 100 than her teammate, sitting at 93 base knocks.
- Daisy Page contributed a complete game in the circle, allowing three runs and no walks plus a pair of punchouts and Kathleen Sims stole her second career base.
- These two teams have been evenly matched against one another over the past seven seasons with Valley holding a slim edge over the Lady Bulldogs (11-9) in its last 20 meetings with the run differential just as close as MVSU is +3 over that span (104-101).
It is make-or-break time for the Devilettes as Saturday’s doubleheader could punch a ticket to Gulfport, Mississippi or be the end of the line for the 2022 campaign.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena