BATON ROUGE, La. – The Mississippi Valley State University men’s basketball program could not contain a white-hot Southern squad who shot 60% from the field and nearly 50% from deep despite the best efforts of Kadar Waller and company.
- Final Score: Southern 100 | Mississippi Valley State 72
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (1-17, 1-7 SWAC) | Southern (11-8, 6-1 SWAC)
- Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana – F.G. Clark Activity Center
- Series History: Southern Leads 65-40
- Winning Streak: Southern (W4) | Mississippi Valley State’s Last Win: February 18, 2019 (70-59)
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Kadar Waller got a staggering 13 of his season-high 20 points from the charity stripe, converting 92.3% of his attempts and logged the most made freebies since 2018. Waller also had a season and game-best three steals with a 60% shooting percentage for his third double-figure scoring outing of his freshman year.
- Devin Gordon hit the ten-point threshold for the sixth consecutive night and seventh overall, posting 13 points on 62.5% shooting.
- Caleb Hunter banked his 13th game with double-figure points in 2021-22, cashing in 15 points courtesy of four long balls to notch his fourth such contest in-a-row.
- Gary Grant was the fourth Delta Devil with ten or more points on the board, tallying 11 for his third straight and eighth double-digit night during the campaign.
- Jordan Johnson logged a career-best 16 minutes of game time and tripled his previous personal-best with six points via a 3-for-4 (75%) shooting performance.
- Elijah Davis was the club’s assist leader with three dishes and Daniel Umoh grabbed the most rebounds with five.
- The Devils went to the free throw line 36 times, its most this season, 14 more trips than the home team.
- This marked the first conference contest of 2021-22 where four Valley student-athletes scored at least ten points each.
Mississippi Valley kicks off a three-game homestand versus Arkansas-Pine Bluff at 4 p.m. inside the R.W. Harrison HPER Complex.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena