MONROE, La. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program scored twice courtesy of a Sydney Wesley two-run moonshot but fell to Jacksonville State and Louisiana Tech in the Best On The Bayou Classic Sunday.
- Final Score (Jacksonville State): Jacksonville State 10 | Mississippi Valley State 2 (Six Innings)
- Final Score (Louisiana Tech): Louisiana Tec5 10 | Mississippi Valley State 0 (Six Innings)
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (0-5, 0-0 SWAC) | Jacksonville State (3-2, 0-0 ASUN) | Louisiana Tech (4-1, 0-0 ASUN)
- Location: Monroe, Louisiana – Ouachita Sportsplex
- Series History: N/A
- Winning Streak: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Wesley smashed her first career long ball in the bottom of the fourth versus the Gamecocks, driving in Keisha White as she rounded the pillows. She had a spectacular day overall, going 3-for-4 (.750) with a dinger, a double, two RBIs, a run scored and a walk during the doubleheader.
- Brianna Alston logged hits in exactly half of her at-bats, singling three times in six attempts as well as a steal.
- Ashlyn Matthews came out of the bullpen against JSU and shut them down, shutting them out from any earned runs (one run total) with a punchout.
- Morgan Gutierrez spent 1.1 innings on the mound, tallying three of her four outs via strike three.
- Jaylon Davis only contributed one hit on the afternoon, but it went for extra bases as she smacked a double to go along with a free pass.
- Other contributors for the Green and White included Keisha White with a walk, stolen base and a run, Naomi Drake with a hit and both Breeauna Troup plus Shelby Carson earning walks.
Coach Buckner’s ladies will take a slightly longer bus ride to Hattiesburg next weekend to compete in the Black & Gold Invitational, beginning with the host Lady Eagles on Friday at 7 p.m.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena