JACKSON, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program was able to give Head Coach Jimmy Buckner his first career head coaching win in the Capital City Invitational Opener, defeating Tennessee-Martin by a score of 5-4 primarily on the backs of Keisha White and Daisy Page.
- Final Score (Tennessee-Martin): Mississippi Valley State 4 | Tennessee-Martin 3
- Final Score (Southern): Southern 7 | Mississippi Valley State 0
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (1-10, 0-0 SWAC) | Tennessee-Martin (5-5, 0-0 OVC) | Southern (2-8, 0-0 SWAC)
- Location: Jackson, Mississippi – JSU Softball Field
- Series History: N/A
- Winning Streak: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- White almost single handedly lifted the offense to a victory, going 3-for-3 in game one with two RBIs, two doubles, and a run scored to be a part of three of the team’s four scores.
- Daisy Page did her part in the circle as well, keeping the Skyhawks grounded with a complete game, no walk victory for her fifth career win for the Green and White. She her put up a season-high five strikeouts, allowed just two earned runs, and even pitched a clean 1-2-3 frame to end game two.
- Naomi Drake scored one of the runs that White drove in and got the Devilettes on the board with an RBI fielder’s choice in the fourth.
- Jaylon Davis tallied a 2-for-3 game one, swiping a bag and scoring a run.
- Sydney Wesley and Brianna Alston were the other two MVSU student-athletes with multiple hits on the day, garnering two apiece with the latter scoring and stealing second.
- Demi Slater had game two’s only extra base hit for the ladies from The Delta, clubbing a two-bagger with a stolen base as well.
- Ashlyn Matthews came out off the bench to hurl 3.2 quality innings of work, allowing zero walks and an earned run plus a pair of Ks.
Mississippi Valley will get another crack at the ladies from Baton Rouge on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m., in search of a winning weekend.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena