ITTA BENA, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University baseball program outhit Bethune-Cookman 13-11 but squandered a 10-4 fifth-inning lead to let the game slip away, 17-13 B-CU.
- Final Score: Bethune-Cookman 17 | Mississippi Valley State 13
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (9-11-1, 3-6 SWAC) | Bethune-Cookman (13-15, 7-2 SWAC)
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – Magnolia Field
- Series History: N/A
- Winning Streak: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- Dreylin Holmes has continued to literally power the offense to runs with his moonshot homers, tacking on another two bombs to give him six for the season while driving in a team-high five RBIs during a 3-for-5 day. Holmes also scored three times, stole a base, and struck fear into the B-CU coaching staff as they intentionally walked him to load the bases during the six-run fourth.
- Ty Washington joined him with a three-hit performance, knocking home a pair of runners to go along with scoring.
- Johnathan Yandrich secured the first double of his Valley tenure which drove in Washington before he came around to cross the plate later in the frame plus a single as well.
- Davon Mims and Darrien Chapman each logged two base knocks and scored twice on the afternoon with the former contributing a sacrifice fly and a free pass on top of that.
- Neither leadoff hitter Maury Weaver nor nine-hole batter Narvin Booker tallied a hit but still both made their presence felt. Weaver drove in two RBIs with a bases loaded walk and a fielder’s choice as well as swiping two bags while Booker scored two times and also registered a stolen base.
- Angel Maldonado was the only pitcher to not allow a single run while going at least an inning, getting the final four outs of the ballgame.
Another big series looms on the horizon when the Diamond Devils make the short trip south to Jackson State for a rivalry matchup beginning at 6 p.m. Friday and ending at noon on Sunday.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena