LORMAN, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University women’s basketball program will not leave the Magnolia State for the rest of the season, starting with a trip to Lorman on Thursday to face the Lady Braves of Alcorn.
What You Need to Know
- Time and Date: Thursday, March 3 (5:30 p.m.)
- Live Stats: N/A
- Video: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjfOB-pFKtEWY82qS_cMaQA (Alcorn Sports Network)
- Audio: http://www.gwoodlive.com/ (Lee Hall & Joshua Davis)
- Tickets: N/A
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (3-21, 2-14 SWAC) | Alcorn (3-20, 2-14 SWAC)
- Location: Lorman, Mississippi – Davey L. Whitney Complex
- Series History: Alcorn Leads 57-30
- Last Meeting: February 7, 2022 | Mississippi Valley State 93, Alcorn 76 | Itta Bena, Mississippi (R.W. Harrison HPER Complex)
- Winning Streak: Mississippi Valley State (W2) | Alcorn’s Last Win: January 16, 2020 (68-53)
Mississippi Valley State Overview
Valley is looking for its third straight win over the Purple and Gold, something it has not done since winning four straight from 2012-13 to 2013-14.
The Devilettes lead the SWAC in three-pointers per game (6.8), are top-15 nationally for turnovers forced (21.38) and top-45 regarding steals a contest (9.8).
Ronni Williams will be participating in her 100th career game at Mississippi Valley State on Thursday. Miss MVSU has made her case to be included in the All-SWAC conversation as she leads the league in both assists (5.2) and steals (2.48) per game while ranking second for assist-to-turnover ratio (1.35).
Sarah Moore went from role player to full-time starter and one of the best players on the team over the course of the year, averaging the third-most rebounds in the SWAC at 9.4 while leading Coach Walker-Johnson’s club with three double-doubles.
Zakiya Mahoney and Mikayla Etienne are in line to finish the campaign as the top two scorers for the Green and White, dropping 13.5 and 11.6 points per game, respectively.
Scouting The Opponent: Alcorn Lady Braves
It has been a grind for former MVSU Head Coach Nate Kilbert and the Lady Braves, winning just three times in 2021-22 against Tougaloo, at Alabama A&M, and at Prairie View A&M, with the win over the Lady Panthers coming last Saturday.
Zy’Nyia White is Alcorn’s leading scorer at 9.7 points, Akyriale Ford tops the rebounding department with 3.8 and four different student-athletes have logged 30-plus assists: LaRae Rascoe (37), Cayla Obillo (36), Diamond Hall (34), and Nia McCalphia (30).
‘#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena