JACKSON, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University softball program rode the arm of A’tajua Wren and the bat of Cailyn Peterson to its first shutout victory since April 20, 2019 with a 5-0 victory over Southern in the final game of the Capital City Invitational Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score: Mississippi Valley State 5 | Southern 0
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (2-10, 0-0 SWAC) | Southern (2-11, 0-0 SWAC)
- Location: Jackson, Mississippi – JSU Softball Field
- Series History: N/A
- Winning Streak: N/A
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers
- A’tajua Wren had her way with the Lady Jaguars offense, tossing a complete game shutout with a career-high five strikeouts, surrendering a single walk and five hits over seven sparkling innings.
- Cailyn Peterson racked up five total bases during her 2-for-3 day at the plate, accounting for both of the team’s extra-base hits via an RBI triple that scored two and a double.
- Jaylon Davis has proven to be a threat every time she reaches safely, stealing three bases on top of a run scored and a walk plus a single.
- Keisha White also swiped multiple bags, snatching two stolen bases and coercing a free pass.
- Shelby Carson did not log a hit but did reach base courtesy of a hit-by-pitch, promptly stealing second shortly thereafter, and brought home a run with a sacrifice fly in the sixth.
- Naomi Drake got the scoring started for the Green and White for the second time in three games, lacing an RBI single back up the middle to help kickstart a three-run top of the first.
With his first two collegiate head coaching wins in his back pocket, Jimmy Buckner will now lead his ladies into Starkville on Wednesday to face SEC foe Mississippi State at 6 p.m.
#ValleyInMotion | #ForkEm | #LitBena